Celebrating 30 Years of Service
This year, MnTAP has been celebrating 30 years of service to Minnesota businesses. Since 1984, MnTAP has helped businesses reduce waste and lower their energy and water use, while reducing their process costs. At MnTAP, our primary focus is on source reduction — which means recommending waste, water and energy use improvements to eliminate sources of waste from processes. Through 33,000 phone consultations, 4,200 site visits from our technical staff, and 220 intern projects, we have helped businesses across the state identify opportunities to save:
- 197,000 tons of waste, the equivalent annual waste generated by all the people of Bloomington, Burnsville and Apple Valley combined. This waste has been permanently eliminated from our air, land and water.
- 600 million gallons of water, enough to satisfy Minneapolis’ water needs for 10 days. This water no longer needs to be pumped from our aquifers or diverted from our lakes and rivers.
- 65 million kWh of electric energy, the electricity needed to charge four billion cell phones.
- 5 million therms of energy, the natural gas equivalent of heating Stillwater homes for a year.
“MnTAP provides a triple win opportunity
for Minnesota. Their work helps maintain
a healthy environment for all residents,
improves business performance for companies,
and provides workforce experience for
students through the Intern Program.”
~ MPCA Commissioner John Linc Stine
Together, these avoided wastes have saved Minnesota businesses nearly $50 million dollars in the first year of implementation. These improvements help keep operating costs lower, allowing companies to reinvest to grow their business. MnTAP’s work continues the 30-year legacy of reducing waste at the source with the fundamental goal of improving public health and the environment. The great news is companies that choose to work with MnTAP and implement identified recommendations are having a positive impact on both their environmental footprint and their profitability.
- Staff Snapshot - page 2
- Painting - pages 2 - 3
- Water - pages 4-5
- Intern Program - page 6
- Resources and Tools - page 7
- Calendar - page 8