Industrial Energy Efficiency Studies
MnTAP, through a grant from the Minnesota Department of Commerce’s Office of Energy Security, collected and analyzed energy data for manufacturing sectors within eight utility service areas in Minnesota. The analysis included identifying significant manufacturing sectors and sub-sectors within each utility service territory and then researching conservation opportunities that may exist for facilities within those sectors and sub-sectors. Additionally, MnTAP developed energy use benchmarks for manufacturing facilities. The results of this project are included on this web page. Learn more about the project through our recent presentation to the National Pollution Prevention Roundtable.
Energy Conservation Market Analysis
A study to identify energy conservation opportunities for Minnesota’s manufacturers
The overall goal of the project is to help Minnesota utilities meet the 1.5% annual energy savings goal by assisting Minnesota business and industry to identify opportunities to become more energy efficient.
To achieve the overall goal, MnTAP conducted industrial market sector analyses to identify sector-specific energy efficiency opportunities for eight investor-owned utilities. This project included collecting information on the highest operational energy uses, greatest conservation opportunities, potential energy savings, and mechanisms to assist industry sectors achieve energy conservation.
- Dried Dairy Products Summary Sheets
- Earth Friendly Materials Exchange - Parade Article
- Grain Elevators with Drying Operations Summary Sheets
- Grant Project - Pollution Prevention at Healthcare Facilities - Executive Summary
- How to Use Energy Benchmarks Summary Sheets
- Industrial Energy Conservation Analysis Webinar
- Industrial Energy Efficiency Executive Summary
- MnTAP Energy Benchmarking Analysis
- MnTAP Energy Conservation Market Analysis
- Non-Ferrous Metals Operations Summary Sheets
- Pulp and Paper Mills Summary Sheets
- Reconstituted Wood Products Summary Sheets
- Resin Production Summary Sheets
- Transportation Equipment Manufacturing Summary Sheets
- Web-fed Heatset Printers Summary Sheets
A study to identify energy benchmarks for Minnesota’s manufacturers
This benchmarking project built upon the industrial market analysis and included analyzing energy use and facility metric data (facility area, employment data, and sales) to develop energy use benchmarks. The benchmarks are intended to be used to compare facility energy use with that of sub-sector peers.
The documents created from this study include the full benchmarking report, which provides details on how the benchmarks were developed and how they might be used. MnTAP also created a one-page “How To” guide for businesses and utilities to better understand how the energy benchmarks can be used to determine a facility’s efficiency as compared to its sub-sector peers.