Metal finishing operations must comply with multiple environmental, health and safety regulations. Find information on air, hazardous waste and wastewater regulations through the links below.
Air Quality Regulatory Information
The National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) are emissions standards set by the United States EPA. These standards are authorized by Section 112 of the Clean Air Act.
- NESHAP: Summary of Regulations Controlling Air Emissions from Plating and Polishing Operations
- NESHAP: Chrome. This is the current rule on chromium emissions from hard and decorative chromium electroplating and chromium anodizing tanks.
- EPA: Rule and Implementation Information for Chromium Electroplating. Rule history and links to rules and amendments.
- NESHAP: Plating and Polishing Area Source
- NESHAP: Halogenated Solvent Cleaning
- NESHAP: Steel Pickling
- MPCA: Air Permitting Introduction [PDF 60KB]
- MPCA: Air Permitting Publications
- MPCA: NESHAP Assistance
- MPCA: Air Emissions Calculators
Hazardous Waste Regulatory Information
- MPCA: Hazardous Waste Publications
- Hennepin County: Addressing Common Problems in Metal Finishing & Printed Circuit Board Shops [PDF 64KB]
- MPCA: Floor Management Plan guidance practices [PDF 37KB]
- MPCA: Sewering Liquid Waste [PDF 133KB]
Water Discharges Regulatory Information
- EPA: Electroplating Discharge Standard
- EPA: Metal Finishing Discharge Standard
- EPA: National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES). The NPDES permit program controls water pollution by regulating point sources that discharge pollutants into waters of the United States.
- MPCA: Permitting Process for Surface-water Dischargers
- Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES): Metro POTW and Industrial Waste
- Western Lake Superior Sanitary Districk (WLSSD): Duluth POTW Wastewater and Biosolids
Stormwater Regulatory Information
- MPCA: Industrial Permit Guidance
- MPCA: Stormwater Manual
General Topics Related to Rules and Compliance
- MPCA: MPCA Homepage
- MPCA: Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP)
- MPCA: Environment Guide for Small Business
- MPCA: Environmental Audit Program
- MPCA: Regulation Due Dates
- MPCA: Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP) NESHAP Assistance
- MPCA: General Requirements for Aboveground Storage Tanks [PDF 64KB]
- National Metal Finishing Resource Center (NMFRC): Laws and Regulations
- Chemical Accident Prevention
- EPA: Chemical Accident Prevention. This is the current rule on Chemical Accident Prevention.
- EPA: Chemical Accident Prevention Publications. EPA publishes documents relating to emergency management, including chemical accident prevention.
- EPA: Risk Management Plan (RMP) Rule. Under the Clean Air Act, the Chemical Accident Prevention Provisions require facilities that produce, handle, process, distribute, or store certain chemicals to develop a Risk Management Program, prepare a Risk Management Plan (RMP), and submit the RMP to EPA.