Upstream Nutrient Reduction
Curb wastewater nutrient challenges: Upstream Nutrient Source Reduction Assistance
- Is your wastewater treatment system facing challenges with Nitrogen or Phosphorous loading?
- Is your business facing pressure from the treatment facility to get a handle on wastewater releases?
- Want to learn more or set up a site visit?
The Minnesota Technical Assistance Program (MnTAP) has demonstrated that source reduction assistance can improve a wastewater facility’s ability to meet effluent targets while enhancing business operations through expanded capacity, improved quality and reduced cost. MnTAP has launched a project geared towards working with facilities upstream of wastewater treatment plants to help them better-manage wastewater effluent.
Through this project, MnTAP staff and interns can help identify strategies for upstream nutrient reduction, which can:
- Decrease load to local wastewater treatment ponds and plants
- Reduce the burden on our local bodies of water and wildlife
- Minimize pressure and costs for businesses that discharge wastewater
If your community, wastewater treatment plant and/or business could benefit from no-cost assistance with wastewater nutrient management contact
MnTAP’s Wastewater Loading page provides resources and examples that demonstrate MnTAP’s work on nutrient reduction.
Funding for this project is provided by the Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund as recommended by the Legislative-Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources (LCCMR).