If you are interested in setting up a conference call, you may use Gopher Conferencing. Abbrieviated instructions are included on this page; lengthier instructions are available in a downloadable PDF file.
Setting up a conference call
- Log on to the Gopher Conferencing Web site
- Enter User Name/Password Information
- Click “Create Meeting”
Creating a Meeting
- Fill in Meeting Name
- Fill in date, time and duration of your call – it is better to estimate the time longer than you expect (for example, if you are going to have a 1 hour call, you must indicate the duration as 1.5 hour in case your call goes long).
- Meeting type should be “Generic Passcode” because this will have 1 passcode for all participants
- Enable name recording: NO
- Leave play tones as is or change if you wish
- Indicate if this is a recurring meeting
- Select the number of lines you anticipate including yourself. Add one just in case you have underestimated.
- You may leave e-mail reminder on or turn it off
- If you select YES to “conference without moderator,” all parties can enter the call as they arrive without having to wait on a moderator. If you do indicate NO, the moderator is Bob, not you the person setting up the call.
- The last two are your option and unnecessary (also at this point untested by MnTAP staff)
- Click “Continue”
- You do not have to add participants; this is up to you.
- If you do add participants, you do not have to include email or phone unless you want to.
- If you add email addresses, the system MAY notify your participants but MAY not.
- Click “Reserve Meeting”
- Click “Confirm”
- You will get a confirmation screen letting you know your meeting has been set up and attendees with email addresses have been notified.
- On this screen, make note of the meeting ID (4 digits under your meeting name called Conference ID)
- Then make note of your passcode listed next to your name and the other names (if you entered them)
- If you did not enter any names, the passcode to use is listed next to “Participant”
Sending information to your participants
- Send the conference call to your participants. Include date, time, duration, and any agenda or discussion items.
- Off campus participants will need to dial 612-624-2663; on campus, dial 4-2663
- Don’t forget to send your Conference ID and passcode that you wrote down from your meeting reservation.
- You will want to send all this information to your participants whether you listed them as a participant in the system or not. It is not GUARANTEED (or tested by MnTAP staff at this point) that the system will email non-campus participants.
The PDF instructions include information about moderating calls and participating in conference calls through this system. It is highly recommended that you review this information before setting up a conference call via this system.
Instructions for using UMConnect (Webinar software) is coming soon!