Resources & Associations for Iron Mining
MnTAP offers the following case studies as examples of ways that mines can improve processes, reduce waste, and lower energy use. Additionally, we provide a list of mining industry associations that provide support and networking opportunities to iron mines.
MnTAP Intern Projects
- Summary: Hibbing Taconite Company (2001). The company saved $260,000 by reducing ore spills by 75% (19,000 tons) through changes to equipment and maintenance schedules.
Industrial Technologies Program Assessments
- Case Study: Coeur Rochester, Inc. [PDF 299KB]. A plant-wide assessment of Nevada Silver Mine found opportunities to improve process control and reduce energy consumption.
- Case Study: Kennecott Utah Copper Corporation [PDF 306KB]. This facility used energy assessments to identify $930,000 in potential annual savings.
Mining Industry Associations
- Iron Mining Association of Minnesota promotes Minnesota’s iron ore industry.
- Iron Range Resources seeks to advance regional growth of Northeastern Minnesota’s mining areas.
- National Mining Association represents the interests of mining before Congress, the Administration, federal agencies, the judiciary, and the media.
- Research Lab: Coleraine Minerals Research Laboratory offers assistance to Minnesota’s iron mines.