Team Leader & Senior Engineer
firstname.lastname@example.org | 612–624–4645
The combination of assisting Minnesota businesses for over 20 years at MnTAP and his previous experience with hazardous materials makes Karl an excellent resource for many manufacturing operations. Karl assists metal finishing companies with pollution prevention. He also addresses questions on industrial cleaning processes, industrial water use, and energy efficiency.
Karl has a solid understanding of both air and water regulatory information and is often able to help companies understand NESHAP regulations or air emissions issues, including VOC reduction. An example of assistance that he provides to companies is comparing the hazard levels, advantages, and disadvantages of different solvents. From those comparisons, Karl often makes suggestions that will help eliminate hazardous waste, reduce regulatory compliance requirements, and save money. Karl helped develop a greenhouse gas calculator that MnTAP staff use to identify a facility’s or industry’s impact on the environment.
Karl is also knowledgeable in energy efficiency, particularly steam systems and process energy. He obtained the status of Certified Energy Manager. Karl identifies operational improvements to compressed air systems, large pumps and fans, and steam systems. Recent work has been reducing energy in aeration processes at Wastewater plants. While performing inspections and identifying opportunities to increase energy efficiency, Karl also estimates the potential savings realized through different solutions.
Education / Training
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, University of North Dakota
- Certified Energy Manager
- Department of Energy Training:
- Fan System Assessment
- Pump System Assessment
- Steam System Assessment
- Improving Thermal Efficiency in Process Heating Equipment (high temperature equip >1000F)
- Fundamentals of Compressed Air Systems
- Advanced Management of Compressed Air Systems
- Hydraulic Institute Training:
- Pump system Optimization
- Association of Energy Engineers Training:
- Compressed Air Systems
- Association of Energy Engineers (AEE)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AICHE)
- Steam Trap Auditing
- Water Efficiency in Rinsing Processes
- Wastewater Plant Energy Conservation